Curried Lentil Soup with Flageolets
- 3-4 tbsp. Roland® Olive Oil, divided
- To taste Roland® Fine Sea Salt
- To taste Ground black pepper
- 1 large carrot, small dice
- 1 medium onion, small dice
- 1 stalk celery, small dice
- 1 1/2 tbsp. Roland® Madras Curry Powder (plus more to taste)
- 1 cup Roland® Green Lentils, uncooked
- 4 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 1/2 cups Roland® Green Flageolets, cooked according to package directions*
- 1 15 OZ. can Roland® Chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 tbsp. Butter
- 7 oz. Roland® Coconut Milk
- 1 lemon, zest and juice separated
- 3 tbsp. Parsley, chopped
- 4 oz. goat cheese
- 3 Green onions, thinly sliced
- Heat 1 Tbsp. of olive oil in a large heavy-bottomed pot over medium low heat. Add carrot, onion and celery, season with salt & pepper and sauté until onion is translucent.
- Add ¾ of the garlic and sprinkle with salt & pepper and cook until rfagrant, about 1 minute stirring constantly.
- Add 1 ½ Tbsp. of curry powder and stir until combined.
- Add stock and lentils. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until lentils are tender, about 30 minutes.
- While soup is simmering, puree the chickpeas in a food processor with ¼ cup of water, half of the lemon juice, and the remaining garlic and olive oil.
- In a small bowl, combine remaining lemon juice, parsley, lemon zest and salt & pepper to taste. Set aside.
- Add chickpea puree, green flageolets, coconut milk, butter and additional curry powder if desired. Simmer until warmed through. Season with salt and pepper.
- In ¼ cup increments, add water to achieve desired consistency.
- Pour soup into bowls and garnish with 1 heaping Tbsp. of goat cheese, parsley mixture and green onions
- * Quicker cook method for flageolets: Use 3 parts water to 1 part flageolets. In a large heavy bottomed pot, bring flageolets and water to a boil for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer for about 2 hours or until flageolets are tender.